EOS Introduces New Metal Materials, Processes for Series Additive Manufacturing
KRAILLING, Germany, May 16, 2019 – EOS, the world’s leading technology supplier in the field of Industrial 3D printing of metals and polymers, presents the four new metal materials EOS StainlessSteel CX, EOS Aluminium AlF357, EOS Titanium Ti64 Grade 5, and EOS Titanium Ti64 Grade 23. They have been tailored to suit a broad array of applications, ranging from automotive to medical applications.
EOS offers a comprehensive selection of metal powder materials that result in optimized part properties for AM
EOS offers comprehensive data on the material properties of all four metals – such as the number of test specimens on which the mechanical properties are based on – as well as detailed scanning electron microscope (SEM) images that provide an insight into the material quality. Thus, EOS is providing companies with documentation and transparency that makes it easier for them to compare DMLS 3D printing with traditional manufacturing technologies and other 3D printing technologies. Such data and openness are a requirement for the use of additive manufacturing (AM) in series production.
Decades of material expertise at EOS
Hannes Gostner, Director Research and Development, EOS says: “At EOS, the development of systems, materials, process parameters, software, and services have always gone hand in hand. All of the elements are perfectly aligned to each other. The result is reproducible high-quality parts at a competitive cost per part. This combination is of crucial importance, particularly for series manufacturing.”
EOS has over 25 years of experience in working with metals and currently offers a range of 20 different metal materials with more in the pipeline. With EOS Oy in Finland, EOS has a complete location that concentrates solely on the development, qualification, and quality assurance of metal materials and processes.
The new metal materials in detail
- EOS StainlessSteel CX is a new tooling grade steel developed for production with the EOS M 290 that combines excellent corrosion resistance with high strength and hardness. Components made from this material are easy to machine and enable an excellent polished finish.
- EOS Aluminum AlF357 is the ideal material for applications that require a light metal with excellent mechanical/thermal strength. Components made from this material are characterized by their light weight, corrosion resistance and high dynamic loading. EOS Aluminum AlF357 has been specially developed for production with the EOS M 400, but it is planned to also make the material available for the EOS M 290 system in the near future.
- EOS Titanium Ti64 Grade 5 has been specially developed for its high fatigue strength without hot isostatic pressing (HIP). Suitable for production with the EOS M 290, the material also offers excellent corrosion resistance, making it ideal for aerospace and automotive applications.
- EOS Titanium Ti64 Grade 23 has also been specially developed for its high fatigue strength without hot isostatic pressing (HIP) and for production with the EOS M 290. Compared to Ti64, Ti64 Grade 23 offers improved elongation and fracture toughness with slightly lower strength. Thanks to these properties, it is particularly well suited to medical applications.
Reliable component characteristics as the basis for series AM
EOS classifies the technological maturity of all its polymers, metals, and processes in the form of Technology Readiness Levels (TRLs). The TRL concept was developed by NASA and is established in numerous industries. Level 5, for example, refers to a verification of the technical solution, while the highest, level 9, refers to full production capability with extensive statistical data documentation. With validated parameters for part properties, EOS is both facilitating and accelerating the transition to series production using additive manufacturing.
Furthermore, for easy orientation, EOS divides its materials and processes into two categories: TRL 3–6 refer to CORE products, whereas TRL 7–9 refer to PREMIUM products and address the usage for series applications. One of the aims here is to make new materials available on the market with a clear value proposition.
The new materials belong to the following categories:
- EOS StainlessSteel CX: Premium, TRL 8
- EOS Aluminium AlF357: Premium, TRL 7
- EOS Titanium Ti64 Grade 5: Premium, TRL 7
EOS is the world’s leading technology supplier in the field of industrial 3D printing of metals and polymers. Formed in 1989, the independent company is a pioneer and innovator for comprehensive solutions in additive manufacturing. Its product portfolio of EOS systems, materials, and process parameters gives customers crucial competitive advantages in terms of product quality and the long-term economic sustainability of their manufacturing processes. Furthermore, customers benefit from deep technical expertise in global service, applications engineering and consultancy. For more information, visit https://www.eos.info.