CIMdata to Host Free Webinar on History & Future of Simulation
ANN ARBOR, MI, USA, Jun 25, 2019 – CIMdata, Inc., the leading global PLM strategic management consulting and research firm, announces an upcoming free educational webinar, “The Rise of Simulation.” The webinar will take place on Thursday, July 11, 2019, at 11:00 a.m. (EDT) and will last for one hour.
A decade ago, CIMdata’s Dr. Keith Meintjes gave a keynote address at a Hewlett-Packard simulation conference. His presentation, “The Rise of Simulation,” traced the history of commercial simulation (CAE) tools and made some predictions. In this webinar, CIMdata will take a look at the forces that have driven the current state of product and manufacturing system development. The predictions made 10 years ago will be examined and there will be a look to the future and the steps that companies should be taking to leverage upcoming technology changes and developments. Dr. Meintjes will be joined for this webinar by Don Tappan, who was then with Intel. Don and Keith collaborated in formulating General Motors’ global strategy for high-performance computing for product engineering.
This webinar will help attendees:
- Understand the history of simulation from the 1960s, when it was mainly developed in-house by companies and the National Labs, to the 2010s when the simulation was everywhere.
- Find out what Moore’s Law is and its impact on product development.
- Learn about cultural and deployment considerations.
- Learn more about where we are going with Moore’s Law, the human factors, and the importance of innovation.
- Find out how to best leverage future technology changes and developments.
According to Dr. Keith Meintjes, CIMdata Fellow, and the host for this webinar, “The history is still interesting, as are the predictions. We mostly, I think, got it right. This webinar will review what was said 10 years ago, and again take a look to the future from today’s perspective.”
Dr. Meintjes has over 35 years of experience in the development and application of simulation tools to transform product development. His achievements include novel methods for combustion simulation, patents for engine design, and strategic planning for the world’s largest commercial HPC facility. Prior to joining CIMdata, he spent nearly 30 years at General Motors where he was responsible for the engineering requirements for GM’s Global CAE IT infrastructure and was named Senior Technical Fellow. At GM Powertrain he held strategic, planning, and management positions, to embed simulation tools in the powertrain product development process. Earlier, at the GM Research Laboratories, he developed thermodynamic and CFD simulation models for engine performance and combustion and was instrumental in GM’s acquisition of a Cray supercomputer.
This webinar will be useful to a wide audience including product development engineering managers, product design architects, CAE (simulation) managers and engineers, solution providers, and anyone interested in learning more about what really has happened with simulation from the perspective of two practitioners who were involved with Simulation very early on.
- To find out more, visit: https://www.cimdata.com/en/education/educational-webinars/webinar-the-rise-of-simulation-redux.
- To register for this webinar, visit https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/517012756400019725.