CIMdata Publishes 2019 PLM Industry Analysis Report
ANN ARBOR, MI, USA, Aug 2, 2019 – CIMdata, Inc., the leading global PLM strategic management consulting and research firm announces the release of the CIMdata PLM Industry Analysis Report, the fourth of five modules of the CIMdata 2019 PLM Market Analysis Report Series. The MAR Series provides detailed information and in-depth analysis on the worldwide PLM market during 2018. It contains analyses of major trends and issues; revenues of leading PLM providers; and revenue analyses for geographical regions, industry sectors, and historical and projected data on market growth.
All industries saw growth in PLM spending in 2018 as shown in the figure below. CIMdata forecasts continued growth in all industries during the five-year forecast period.
Mainstream PLM Revenues by Industry—History & Forecast
PLM spending is greatest in automotive & other transportation, fabrication & assembly, electronics & telecommunications, and aerospace & defense. It is lower in the process industries and utilities. However, there are some good process PLM solutions available, and they are becoming more important with concerns about food safety, particularly in emerging economies. Growth in PLM for medical devices, part of the high-tech sector, is driven by stringent compliance requirements that can vary by country, something that PLM strategies and enabling solutions can address. All industries are being affected by the trend toward smart, connected products, either directly or because of the effects of the Internet of Things (IoT) and the drive toward Industry 4.0, an initiative that originated in Germany, that has inspired programs and spending in countries around the world. CIMdata believes there are good opportunities in all segments as corporate management continues to become more cognizant of the value of PLM and its positive impacts on both the top and bottom lines of business. During 2018, comprehensive providers continued to expand their efforts to deliver more industry-focused and functionally-packaged solutions that are easier and less expensive to acquire and deploy. This is fueled, in part, by continued mergers and acquisitions activity in most PLM segments.
“The global PLM market grew strongly in 2018 at 9.4%, well above our forecast of 7%,” states Stan Przybylinski, CIMdata’s Vice President. “The leading PLM solution providers are consolidating their portfolios after years of acquisitions, and increasing their revenues in 2018, in part, by expanding their footprint at their existing clients. Industrial companies are using PLM to enable highly collaborative, distributed, flexible design and manufacturing environments to help better manage the entire product or plant lifecycle. This ability is critical to all industries and only becomes more complex as smart, connected products must act as parts of larger systems.”
The CIMdata PLM Market Analysis Report Series is packaged as five modules:
- The CIMdata 2019 Executive PLM Market Report provides an overview of CIMdata’s complete global analysis. It includes key charts on PLM market investment statistics through 2018, forecasts of investments for 2019 through 2023, and a summary of PLM solution providers’ performance in 2018.
- The CIMdata 2019 PLM Industry Review and Trends Report is mainly qualitative in nature and focuses on key issues facing the global PLM ecosystem of solution providers and end-user organizations. It highlights changes that occurred in 2018, what effects those changes may have in the short and medium-term, and what is on the horizon in the years to come.
- The CIMdata 2019 PLM Market and Solution Provider Analysis Report details measures of and forecasts for the overall PLM market and its key segments, including Tools, cPDm, and Digital Manufacturing. The Tools section has additional details on sub-segments, including MCAD, CAM, S&A, EDA, and AEC. It also includes CIMdata’s estimates of PLM solution provider revenues in these segments and sub-segments for 2019 through 2023.
- The CIMdata 2019 PLM Market Geographic Analysis Report provides an additional view of the 2018 market results, by major geography. CIMdata’s 2018 estimates and market forecasts for PLM and the major PLM market segments are provided for the Americas, EMEA, and Asia-Pacific. In addition, the report includes estimates and forecasts for the cPDm segment within specific European and Asia-Pacific countries and regions.
- The CIMdata 2019 PLM Market Industry Analysis Report provides an industry segmentation view of the 2018 market results. CIMdata’s 2018 estimates and market forecasts for PLM and cPDm are provided for eight different industry sectors: aerospace and defense; automotive and other transportation; electronics/telecommunications; fabrication and assembly; process-packaged goods; process—petrochemical; utilities; and construction, infrastructure and shipbuilding.
The CIMdata PLM MAR Series is available as a five-module set or each module can be purchased separately. Some modules of the MAR series are available as part of CIMdata’s Community Memberships. CIMdata also publishes country-specific MAR reports for Brazil, China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Russia, South Korea, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Further details and pricing information about the report and Community Memberships are available at www.cimdata.com.