CIMdata Publishes 2020 PLM Market and Solution Provider Report
ANN ARBOR, MI, USA, Jul 3, 2020 – CIMdata, Inc., the leading global PLM strategic management consulting and research firm, announces the release of the CIMdata PLM Market and Solution Provider Analysis Report, the third of five modules of the CIMdata 2020 Market Analysis Report Series. The MAR Series provides detailed information and in-depth analysis on the worldwide PLM market during 2019. It contains analyses of major trends and issues, revenues of leading PLM solution providers, and revenue analyses for geographical regions, industry sectors, and historical and projected data on market growth.
“The PLM market grew to $51.5 billion overall in 2019, 7.7% growth over 2018, under our forecast of 8.9%,” according to Mr. Stan Przybylinski, CIMdata’s Vice President. “Architecture, Engineering, and Construction (AEC) and Simulation & Analysis (S&A) saw strong double-digit gains, largely driven by Autodesk’s huge growth powered by their move from perpetual licensing to subscription. Other Tools, our segment that includes tools to develop product software, grew 11.2%, surpassing the high growth numbers of recent years. While CIMdata expected the market to continue strong growth going forward, the COVID-19 pandemic has gripped the world and affected all types of businesses, including the PLM Economy. CIMdata does not expect the PLM market to return to growth until 2021. Still, the market will recover because the underlying trends of smart, connected products, and Industry 4.0 continue to grow in importance. Looking toward 2024, CIMdata forecasts the PLM market to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.8% to $68.2 billion.”
Companies make PLM investments in many different areas and with many types of solutions, including mechanical CAD, simulation and analysis, visualization and collaboration, building design, and others. This diversity is reflected in the different solution providers to the PLM market and in the fact that no single type of provider dominates the industry. During 2019, a number of providers generated substantial revenues that represent PLM-related investments. Fourteen providers generated PLM revenues over $500 million from both the tools and the cPDm segments. Three solution providers, Dassault Systèmes, PTC, and Siemens Digital Industries Software, are major providers of both tools (such as MCAD) and cPDm technology while others, such as Autodesk and Cadence, are primarily tool providers that focus on specific segments within the overall market. While Hexagon does not position itself as a PLM company, its revenues from businesses that CIMdata does count in PLM puts them in the top 10. It illustrates the breadth of companies that participate in the overall PLM market, even though they may not all compete directly with each other.
PLM Market History and 5-Year Forecast
The CIMdata PLM Market Analysis Report Series comprises five modules:
- The CIMdata 2020 Executive PLM Market Report provides an overview of CIMdata’s complete global analysis. It includes key charts on PLM market investment statistics through 2019, forecasts of investments for 2020 through 2024, and a summary of PLM solution providers’ performance in 2019.
- The CIMdata 2020 PLM Industry Review and Trends Report is mainly qualitative and focuses on key issues facing the global PLM ecosystem of solution providers and end-user organizations. It highlights changes that occurred in 2019, what effects those changes may have in the short and medium terms, and what is on the horizon in the years to come.
- The CIMdata 2020 PLM Market and Solution Provider Analysis Report details measures of and forecasts for the overall PLM market and its key segments in 2019, including Tools, cPDm, and Digital Manufacturing. The Tools section has additional details on sub-segments, including MCAD, NC, S&A, EDA, and AEC. It also includes CIMdata’s estimates of PLM solution provider revenues in these segments and sub-segments for 2020 through 2024.
- The CIMdata 2020 PLM Market Geographic Analysis Report provides an additional view of the 2019 market results, by major geography. The report offers CIMdata’s 2019 estimates and market forecasts for PLM and the major PLM market segments for the Americas, EMEA, and Asia-Pacific. Also, the report includes estimates and forecasts for the cPDm segment within specific European and Asia-Pacific countries and regions.
- The CIMdata 2020 PLM Market Industry Analysis Report provides an industry segmentation view of the 2019 market results. The report provides CIMdata’s 2019 estimates and market forecasts for PLM and cPDm for ten different industry sectors: aerospace and defense, automotive and other transportation, electronics/telecommunications, fabrication and assembly, process-packaged goods, process—petrochemical, utilities, construction, infrastructure, and shipbuilding.
The CIMdata PLM Market Analysis Report Series is available as a five-module set, or each module can be purchased separately. Parts of the MAR are available as part of CIMdata’s Community Memberships. Further details and pricing information about the report and Community Memberships are available at www.cimdata.com.