CIMdata Completes 2019 PLM Status & Trends Research on Global PLM Economy
ANN ARBOR, MI, USA, Apr 17, 2019 – CIMdata, Inc., the leading global PLM strategic management consulting and research firm, announces the completion of its annual status and trends research related to the global product lifecycle management (PLM) economy.
The goal of the research was to deepen the PLM community’s collective understanding of the status, drivers, and preconditions necessary for companies to derive value from their investment in PLM enabling solutions. A web-based survey was developed and distributed to identify key issues.
Significant findings show that:
- The majority of respondents identified that they have more than one commercially available PLM solution operating in their company.
- Current implementations heavily focus on the “traditional” product data management aspects of PLM.
- There is a heavy emphasis on business process enablement.
- The business objectives for future PLM implementations have a significant focus on getting faster, better, cheaper.
- Compared to 2018 results there has been a shift somewhat away from Global Programs to Technology Simplification.
- Over the next two years, 64% of respondents said that they plan to increase the amount budgeted for PLM spend.
- The use of the term “PLM” might have worn out its welcome.
According to Mr. Peter Bilello, CIMdata’s President, “Many of the research findings are heavily weighted towards the traditional aspects of PLM, which is consistent with CIMdata’s experience with its industrial clients. Survey responses indicate that industrial companies find PLM to be worth the investment and that PLM budget trends show continued investment in the near term. The major challenges facing users going forward are the confusion surrounding the overlapping processes and functions of enterprise systems (e.g., PLM, ERP, and MES), the lack of understanding around PLM payback opportunities, and cultural issues.”
For more information on this research plan to join us on Thursday, May 9 for a CIMdata Educational Webinar on this topic. For more information or to register, visit the CIMdata website at https://www.cimdata.com/en/education/educational-webinars/webinar-plm-status-trends.